We are creatures of habit and living with another person for many years often means we shape our life around our partner and the magic wears off and after a few years of taking each other for granted, it is time to call it quits. Troubling times indeed, what with the emotional strain and the ordeal of asset division and if you are going through a divorce, here are a few tips to help you retain your sanity.
- Find a hobby or interest – This is good advice; the last thing you want is to have time on your hands and nothing planned. That’s when your mind starts to wander and you keep going over what went wrong, which is not what you should be thinking about and a hobby will keep your mind occupied with more enjoyable pursuits.
- Connect with people – Now is not the time to be an introvert and with a reputable family law attorney in Las Vegas taking care of the legalities, you can reconnect with old friends and catch up on what’s been going on in their lives. Being around others will also help you to start creating a new life and focusing on the next exciting chapter of your life.
- Be calm and rational – When dealing with your soon to be ex-partner, try to see things from their perspective and remaining calm is always advised. If there is still a high level of emotion, let your lawyer do what he or she can, which stops you getting stressed out. The old saying ‘it is what it is’ is always worth remembering when the going gets tough; we can’t change what happens in some cases, but we can change how we respond. Try to stay positive and upbeat and this will ensure you don’t have a breakdown.
- Remove things that remind you of your partner – Take down any photos of you together and if possible, relocate for a completely new environment, these small triggers can lead to constantly thinking about how things might have been. Now is the time to start thinking about the next phase of your life and that foreign job offer you turned down might still be up for grabs!
- Source a good lawyer – The sooner you do this, the better; a legal expert will ensure that a favorable outcome is achieved, plus the lawyer can deal with all communication regarding the division of marital assets and they always have your best interests at heart. An experienced divorce attorney has seen it all and can provide a lot more than legal representation, offering emotional support when needed.
There is definitely a lot of stress involved when ending a relationship and we hope that the above tips help you to make the transition into a new and exciting life as a single person. There are a lot of resources for those dealing with a divorce and a good lawyer in your corner is a must.